Sunday, September 21, 2014

Why this Grandma wants to build her own Tiny House

You might never guess by looking at me. I'm a fairly ordinary looking, disabled almost 60 year old, who uses a mobility scooter, wears a leg brace and loves to read.
I have been a widow since my Daughter was 2 years old, 23 years now. That means I am quite accustomed to doing things myself.

My Daughter is married to a wonderful man, with three beautiful Daughters of her own.

She has no desire for my house when I am gone.

Last year I had to move my Mother from her duplex that she and my Father had occupied for 23 years, into a managed care one bedroom apartment. The job of sorting through, distributing and disposing of all of that "Stuff", convinced me that I never wanted my daughter to have to do the same!


I no longer need my 1,600 square foot house, or my two and one half acres of land. 

What could I do to rid myself of all of that, plus a lot of "Stuff" I really don't need, and at the same time rid myself of the $917.00 house payment?

So I started investigating the "Tiny House" Movement. I read everything I could get my hands on that was available on the internet. I knew very quickly that this was the perfect solution for me! A portable, paid for, home that I could take anywhere, live off the grid or on, and go where I choose! I could live where I could watch a meteor shower from my bed, or sleep, lulled by ocean waves, or hear the hush of pines in the wind. To be able to live "Green" was also a huge draw. Having grown up with and tried to live by the mantra of "Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without!" I yearned for a way to cut my carbon footprint, and do my bit to reduce conspicuous consumption. 


The next step was a workshop. 

Here I am at the Tumbleweed Tiny House workshop in San Diego, CA.
You can read the ongoing story of this Tiny House at Tiny House Giant Journey.

So now it was just a matter of time and Money. I started looking for a one ton truck, that could not only haul all the stuff I needed for my house, but to also tow the house once it was finished!

I hope you will enjoy following along as I move forward toward my finished Tiny House. 




No comments:

Post a Comment